Reckless driving in Virginia is a class 1 misdemeanor. How serious is a class 1 misdemeanor in Virginia. It is serious enough that it can land you in jail. Are you really going to jail for a reckless driving ticket in Virginia. The honest answer is that in most instances, no. But it is a possibility if you are not careful. Talk to a reckless driving lawyer in Virginia.
The SRIS Law Group defends clients charged with reckless driving regularly before the different traffic courts in Virginia.
Two of most regularly charged reckless driving offenses in Virginia are reckless driving by speed and reckless driving general.
Please seriously consider calling our firm if you have been charged with reckless driving in Virginia.
We have client meeting locations in Fairfax, Prince William, Richmond, Loudoun & Fredericksburg.
Uncontested Divorce Process In Virginia
Virginia 46.2-862 Reckless Driving Statute
§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit.
A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.
Virginia 46.2-852 Reckless Driving Statute
§ 46.2-852. Reckless driving; general rule.
Irrespective of the maximum speeds permitted by law, any person who drives a vehicle on any highway recklessly or at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person shall be guilty of reckless driving.
Virginia 46.2-865 Reckless Driving Statute
46.2-865. Racing; penalty.
Any person who engages in a race between two or more motor vehicles on the highways in the Commonwealth or on any driveway or premises of a church, school, recreational facility, or business property open to the public in the Commonwealth shall be guilty of reckless driving, unless authorized by the owner of the property or his agent. When any person is convicted of reckless driving under this section, in addition to any other penalties provided by law the driver’s license of such person shall be suspended by the court for a period of not less than six months nor more than two years. In case of conviction the court shall order the surrender of the license to the court where it shall be disposed of in accordance with the provisions of § 46.2-398.
Most people are shocked that if you do donuts in a parking lot, you can be charged with reckless driving in Virginia. If you spin your tires, you can be charged with reckless driving in Virginia. Keep in mind that in Virginia, reckless driving is not a traffic offense. It is a criminal offense. Virginia has some of the strictest driving laws in the entire country. Be very careful about violating the different Virginia driving laws.
Talk to an experienced reckless driving lawyer who has gone before the different county traffic courts and knows how the different county traffic courts rule on reckless driving offenses.
Our Virginia traffic lawyers can and will do their best to help you. We are a simple phone call away.
As an added bonus, the following is a federal statute you might find relevant.
(41)  The term special areas means the areas referred to as eastern special areas in Article 3(1) of the Agreement between the United States of America and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics on the Maritime Boundary, signed June 1, 1990. In particular, the term refers to those areas east of the maritime boundary, as defined in that Agreement, that lie within 200 nautical miles of the baselines from which the breadth of the territorial sea of Russia is measured but beyond 200 nautical miles of the baselines from which the breadth of the territorial sea of the United States is measured.
(42) The term stock of fish means a species, subspecies, geographical grouping, or other category of fish capable of management as a unit.
(43) The term treaty means any international fishery agreement which is a treaty within the meaning of section 2 of article II of the Constitution.
(44) The term tuna species means the following:
Albacore TunaThunnus alalunga;
Bigeye TunaThunnus obesus;
Bluefin TunaThunnus thynnus;
Skipjack TunaKatsuwonus pelamis; and
Yellowfin TunaThunnus albacares.
(45) The term United States, when used in a geographical context, means all the States thereof.
(46) The term United States fish processors means facilities located within the United States for, and vessels of the United States used or equipped for, the processing of fish for commercial use or consumption.
(47) The term United States harvested fish means fish caught, taken, or harvested by vessels of the United States within any fishery regulated under this chapter.
(48) The term vessel of the United States means
(A) any vessel documented under chapter 121 of title 46;
(B) any vessel numbered in accordance with chapter 123 of title 46 and measuring less than 5 net tons;
(C) any vessel numbered in accordance with chapter 123 of title 46 and used exclusively for pleasure; or
(D) any vessel not equipped with propulsion machinery of any kind and used exclusively for pleasure.
(49) The term vessel subject to the jurisdiction of the United States has the same meaning such term has in section 70502 (c) of title 46.
(50) The term waters of a foreign nation means any part of the territorial sea or exclusive economic zone (or the equivalent) of a foreign nation, to the extent such territorial sea or exclusive economic zone is recognized by the United States.
Our law firm assist clients in VA MD MA.
When a client is faced with a serious legal issue in Virginia, Maryland or Massachusetts, then they should serious consider calling the SRIS Law Group.
Our attorneys assist clients with the following types of legal issues:
We have client meeting locations in Virginia, Maryland & Massachusetts.
Uncontested Divorce Process In Virginia
Our Fairfax County Criminal Lawyer attorneys and staff speak following languages Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Mandarin and Spanish.
Due to our experience in defending clients charged with the above types of legal issues, we routinely appear before the courts in Virginia, Maryland & Massachusetts.
Our attorneys are also licensed to appear in the federal district courts of Virginia, Maryland & Massachusetts.
If you need help with certain types of federal cases, please feel free to call us and discuss your legal issue with us.